Careers • Vancouver • Accounting
Established 30 years ago, Westbank is a private real estate development practice, headquartered in Vancouver, Canada. We are dedicated to the creation of inspiring, mixed-use projects, concentrating primarily in our core cities of focus: Vancouver, Toronto, Seattle, Tokyo and San Jose. Our body of work includes residential, hotels, retail, creative workspace, district energy, net zero carbon initiatives, affordable housing, exhibitions and public art, with over $50B of projects completed or under development.
As our practice has evolved, we have assembled a collection of cultural enterprises including restaurants, gyms, spas, music venues, private member clubs, fashion, dance schools and food halls, known as the Westbank Ecosystem, which we weave throughout our projects. We bring this ecosystem to life through collaborations with some of the most talented artists, architects, designers and entrepreneurs in the world. As we have evolved, we have taken on initiatives of greater ambition, in our cities of focus. We are always looking for talented, passionate and committed individuals to join our growing team. It’s our work together that makes it all possible.
Our growing tax compliance obligations require the help of a full-time Tax Compliance Specialist to join our in-house tax team.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare and review the group’s 300+ Canadian and US income tax and partnership returns
- Prepare, update and review tax working papers and calculations (e.g. ACB, at-risk amount, CDA, capital gain, safe income, FAPI) for corporate, real estate and investment structures
- Prepare other tax filings as required including foreign reporting and country-by-country reporting
- Prepare year-end consolidated tax provisions for the annual audit
- Assist with dissolutions and windups of inactive entities as necessary
- Assist with tax planning for the corporate group and family office, documenting research and analysis on various tax issues, including federal and provincial income and other taxes (e.g., GST/HST, PST, property transfer tax, COVID incentives)
- Liaise with professional tax advisors as needed
- Resolve CRA audits, and respond to government inquiries
- Respond to ad hoc requests from operating divisions
- 2-3 years’ experience in Canadian tax with US tax experience being an asset but not a requirement
- Accounting designation
- Strong organizational skills, ability to adapt to multiple demands, set priorities and achieve results on a timely basis
- Ability to grasp accounting, tax and legal technical concepts quickly
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Tax Prep and Tax Prep Forms would be beneficial by not required
- Advanced computer skills as well as proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to work independently
- Strong consideration will be made for candidates that possess experience in real estate property management and property development accounting